Objective & Concept
AFTER-BIOCHEM proposes and innovative global concept that consists of an entire process at industrial scale to transform current agricultural processing co-products into competitive organic acids and ester with lower environmental impacts. The project is raising the following challenges :
- Building the first flagship biorefinery within the « CHEMESIS » chemical platform sited Carling Saint-Avold, France.
- Maximizing the valorization of the side streams of sugar refineries and securing the feedstock for the flagship biorefinery.
- Producing industrial quantities of multiple high added value natural products.
- Demonstrating a range of consumer-oriented biobased solutions competitive with equivalent fossil-based products.
- Ensuring the replicability of the production process on various resources.
- Maintaining jobs in local areas: locating the biorefinery close to feedstock sources will promote implementation in rural areas
- Reducing CO₂ emissions, compared to equivalent fossil-based organic acid production.